Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Identities: What’s my true identity?



I want to live in a world where no social, cultural, or biological identity is imposed on me. I want to be free from the pre-adjusted lens in the eyes of people, this suffocates me. I don't look at myself as restricted to any specific identity and don't behave accordingly, but sometimes or other in social or cultural settings, I am always expected to act according to some identities to which they assume I must belong.


 Somehow, I don't feel fit in any particular identity, and it all happens unknowingly and perhaps unwillingly. But I found most people find it hard not to see others not belonging to some identities. I infer it's almost impossible for people not to see you as such.


But the question is am I free from all identities? Or is it a wish of my ego, who is writing this my ego, or who? How can I know this? Maybe until I ask this question, I am not free from either ego or identities both of which come from the same center of the ‘I’ sense.



Is there a world where we are not expected to belong to identities? Where we have not been prescribed identities by birth or belonging to a culture or social setting. I feel since most people never rise from the level of their prescribed or ascribed identities, some form or other, it's also become impossible for them to imagine someone free from it.


I feel this is real freedom. And when it's done it happens effortlessly. You rise above it, without trying. But how it's done if I claim to do it? Maybe by knowing & always choosing to align yourself with the highest truth, the truth that liberates, the truth that we are all one manifestation of the same spiritual element.


Maybe this is all being written by my ego in his attempt to align itself with the highest truth. This is one of the closest reasons I could find now. But why did this need to write arise suddenly while I was reading Ashtavakra Gita? Maybe to give words to something from within bubbling for some expression.


But why it wants to be expressed? Why it can't be kept inside and bring some meaningful changes in me? Is it not an escape from facing some painful changes that the reading brought to me? How can I know this? Do I feel peaceful while writing? I can't say peaceful or not but at least I am here & now, mostly consumed in it, more than the rest of the day's activities & rest of the week’s activities.


And somewhere in the background, I could hear whispering Oh! This might be a masterpiece article for my blog, that must be ego. It's there as a never-off recording played; these days, however, I try not to pay attention to this recording, and then for some brief moments, I could feel peace, while gazing far through the trees among the mundane activities of day-to-day life.




And I was revealed that this recording was not of much importance. That time the person I am is very lovable. But he has nothing to say, he just wants to be quiet. Now certainly I feel peace while writing this.


Somehow people who assign me identities dishearten me because they become the testimony of their being a low person. These days this is my default judgment setting for people, which might change, I don't know.



I am not writing this in hatred, but in my disappointment, this makes me lose hope in a world I dream of, and certainly this person becomes ineligible for such a world. And believe me, the people I found eligible are less than five. They become representative of a less free world, but I have hope for them too.


I can always feel this huge pressure to belong to some group, class, community, social or cultural identity. Even if you don’t assign to one, people assume one for you based on the caste, religion, nation, state, the city you belong to, and unknowingly you have prescribed some roles and responsibilities accordingly. I feel this is no less than violence. Why? Because it’s taking away my freedom to be free from my identity, totally undermining that there is a world beyond it.




There is a truth, underlying all identities which don’t divide, separate, segregate, or categorize but unite. Until and unless we start talking & contemplating that reality, we as a human race can never attain our highest goal, which is liberation from our limited identifications of body, we shall remain a slave to our bodies. Unfortunately, very few are talking about that, 
and my highest respect is only for such people & efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment